Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

This review is based on an Advanced Reader's Copy that I received in the mail.

Have you ever fallen in love at first sight?  Had memories of a past life?  Known all about and longed to visit a place you've never seen?  Well, then you might have had a past life.

The Eternal Ones centers around the character of Haven Moore.  A young woman who grew up in a small town in Tennessee, but has always longed to go to New York and search out her lost love, Ethan.  Haven believes that in a past life she (as Constance) and Ethan were meant to be together, but died before their time, and now she must seek out Ethan so that their love can be rightfully lived.

But, what Haven finds isn't only love.  There's deceit, a murder mystery, and not everything in NYC is always as it seems.  Now Haven isn't sure if that man she believes is Ethan is the love of her life, or a killer from her past who is ready to end her life again.

I have to say, I was not really looking forward to this book.  I've had about enough of the paranormal romance, and I thought that this sounded a little cheesy.  I'm really glad I put those feelings aside though because I enjoyed this book so much.  I will say that some of the obsessive love that Haven feels towards her "Ethan" might reinforce a somewhat unhealthy view of love that many teenagers already have.  That's just a small hit against this entertaining story.  I was totally drawn into Haven's love, but also could relate to her feelings of betrayal.  The end of the book got a little over the top, and the big bad is almost maybe a little too grand for this story.  But, I think that teens will love it anyways, and probably won't have a problem with the big bad.

I have to say, one quote from the book (and this may differ slightly from the published version) really resonated with me:
"Love and faith go hand in hand.  You can't have one without the other.  And, as well all know, taking that leap isn't always safe.  Sometimes you judge poorly, and you land right on your face.  But unless you make the jump, you'll never know what's on the other side."

As someone whose had her heart stomped on a number of times (like I am sure we all have), I can really relate to that quote.  If you love someone, you have to have faith in them.  It's dangerous, it's scary, it might get you hurt, but if you never take the risk you'll never known what you might end up with.

I can't wait for the library's copy of this book to be in, and processed, so I can start checking it out to my teens.

No comments:

Followers