Saturday, September 25, 2010

Book Club attendance

One area I've had trouble with at the library is book club attendance.  We'll have teens show up one month, and then not be back the next.  Since one of the main points of our book club is that we give teens books to keep, it's very hard on our budget to give out books, but get no return on the investment.  So, I started thinking of ways I could get the teens to come every month, or almost every month at least.

Then it came to me!  Last spring we as a book club went to see the Percy Jackson movie.  The teens had a great time, and did ask to do something like that again.  I decided that I would hand out punch cards to the teens in the book club.  Every meeting they come to, they get a "punch" (or really more a date on the card).  After 6 punches the teen earns the right to attend a movie outing with the library Teen Book Club.

We've just launched this plan today, and I am hoping that it works well.  I really enjoyed the movie outing last time around, and I'd love to do something like it again.  Now all I have to do is see what movies are coming out next spring that I'd be able to take my teens to.

I'll update later on the success (or possible failure) of my program.

No comments:

Followers