Saturday, May 31, 2014

Band of Brothers

I am a bit behind the times when it comes to watching the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers.  I will admit, I was a little turned off by Saving Private Ryan, so when this mini-series came out I wasn't really interested.  Recently, Amazon Prime acquired the rights to show many HBO shows and my husband and I decided to start watching this series on Memorial Day.

My husband had seen the series before, but not for over a decade.  I went in knowing it was about WWII, but that was the extent of my knowledge on the series.  Initially, I did think the first episode was a little slow, but by the end of episode two I was hooked.  My husband and I watched all ten episodes of the series this past week.  I am very proud to say that I didn't cry until the very last episode, although my husband thought I was going to crack much sooner.  I caught him looking at me to see if I was tearing up or not.

I was seriously impressed by the series.  I really invested in the characters and wanted to know what happened to them after the war.  I wish I had watched the series earlier, because I want to be able to talk to my grandfather about it and about how it compares to what he went through in WWII, but he died back in 2011.  I kind of wish I could go back and watch the series over again for the first time, but I know I won't ever be able to do that.  This series really touched me and I think that, while it is a dramatization, it is important and that more people (who didn't see it the first time around) should watch it.

No comments:

Followers